Google AdSense is an advertising program that allows you to run ads on your website, blog, or YouTube videos. You get paid when visitors click on the ads and also for the number of impressions generated. The ads are generated from businesses that use Google Ads to promote their products/services. These ads are fed into your website using a special code.
For new websites or blogs, the Google AdSense program can be one of the fastest ways to generate income, which is why it’s so popular.
Pros and Cons of Google AdSense
- You can start earning without any initial investment.
- There are no eligibility requirements like minimum traffic or minimum Alexa rank.
- There is a variety of ad options and several that you can customize to fit the look and feel of your site, and there’s an option called Auto Ads which automatically places ads on your website without you having to install codes everywhere.
- Google pays monthly by direct deposit if you meet the $100 threshold.
- You can run ads on several websites from one AdSense account.
- You can easily add it to your Blogger and YouTube accounts.
- High CPC and RPM if you have high quality traffic.
- Google can terminate your account in an instant, and it’s not very forgiving if you break the rules.
- When people click on an AdSense ad, you make some money, but your visitor also leaves your site, which means you lose the opportunity to make money with higher-paying or your own products and services.
Play the Game Safely while Maximizing your Earnings
- Know the rules: Just like you learn the rules before playing any game, knowing the rules and regulations of Google AdSense is very important. You must comply with Google’s webmaster policies, as well as the AdSense program policy.
- Don’t click your own ads and don’t ask others to click: According to Google’s policy’s ad clicks should come from natural interests and not for any benefit. Incentivizing clicks, buying ad clicks, or using a program designed to drive traffic to AdSense pages are against the rules. Remember, Google isn’t very forgiving about breaking the rules, so be sure to adhere to them.
- Have great content your target market wants to read: Ultimately, money is made, whether through AdSense or other monetization methods, by providing valuable content and quality traffic to your blog or website.
- Use honest methods to increase your visitors: SEO, Social Media and other organic methods are effective in getting free traffic to your site.
More about increasing quality website visitors.
- Make sure your website/blog is responsive: The number of people who use mobile devices is high. Also make sure you’re using responsive ads so Google can send appropriate ad sizes to mobile devices viewing your site.
- Read emails from Google: Always be updated about your account as Google might be sending warnings about your account which can lead to suspension if you don’t act necessarily.
Tips for increasing AdSense Revenue
This is one of the most common factors involved in getting low vs. high CTR.
You should try putting Adsense ads around the content and above the fold. (Above-the-fold ads perform far better than below-the-fold ads!)
You can blend the ads with your site design.
There is one thing that bloggers often ignore – link-based ads. Link-based ads are different from banner ads, and they don’t decrease the CTR of main ads if optimized properly.
When you design a website for Adsense income, you should keep the AdSense heatmap in your mind. This way you can easily create Adsense-optimized themes and designs for your new site.
Here are some of the Adsense sizes which work best:
- 336 * 280 : Large Rectangle
- 300*250 :
As you can see, in the Adsense world size and placement matters.
Traffic location and sources
Many people get a low CPC which results in a low income despite of thousands of impressions. This is because of the traffic location and traffic sources.
Adsense ads perform best when your traffic is from search engines. Also, interest-based ads might not perform as well if you are getting more direct traffic.
The other cause is the country of traffic. If you can get traffic from USA or UK, it results in a high CPC. But other less developed country’s result in lower CPCs.
Use ad types wisely
Many believe that image ads work better and they have a higher CPC. But by blocking an ad type reduces the competition within ads on your site thus decreasing your CPM. Using text ads as well as image ads is the best method.
Try all these methods and keep experimenting. Experimenting teaches you many unique methods that know one else can teach you.
So, the final advice for increasing your income is, play the game safe and take all necessary actions to improve your website / blog.